Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chocolate... cobbler?

Yes, I made it :] You can start drooling in envy of my weekend away from classes in which I had a rendezvous with some chocolate cobbler... Try it, but don't blame me if you develop a problem, the first step is admitting you have a problem.... back away from the chocolate ;]


For those that are strong enough to handle this baby, here is the recipe...

Recipe from The Tasty Kitchen Blog
  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 7 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, Divided
  • 1-¼ cup Sugar, Divided
  • ½ cups Milk
  • ⅓ cups Melted Butter
  • 1-½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • ½ cups Light Brown Sugar, Packed
  • 1-½ cup Hot Tap Water



The ingredients are simple. You’ll need flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, brown sugar and hot tap water.






Begin with the flour in a mixing bowl.






Next add the baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons of the cocoa powder and 3/4 of the sugar.






Side note here: I used dark cocoa powder for this recipe, which can be found in most local groceries. I’m a dark chocolate fan. You can certainly use regular cocoa powder, but if you can find it, the dark cocoa powder gives it an extra kick of richness that would make Ree’s skirt fly up. I don’t wear many skirts but I felt a distinct breeze up my pant legs.






Okay, back to the recipe. Mix ingredients well.






Next add the milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.






Combine well until you have a smooth batter. At this point it looks much like a brownie batter. I suppose, if you wanted, you could stop here and call it day. But Granny has bigger plans for us, so hold your horses.






In an 8 x 8″ or equivalent size casserole or baking dish, evenly spread the chocolate batter and set aside.






Moving right along, in a bowl place the remaining white sugar, the brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder.






Combine well. The mixture was a little lumpy due to my brown sugar clumping but I just broke apart any large clumps and didn’t worry about the others.






Evenly distribute dry mixture over the chocolate batter.






Now here’s where it gets a little wonky. You may wonder what was Granny thinkin’? I even checked the recipe, concerned I had missed a step. Pour 1 1/2 cups of hot tap water over the whole thing and don’t stir.






Again, don’t stir. Just let it be. It looks kinda wrong, I know, but some kind of Granny magic happens. Trust me. Or rather trust Granny. She knew what she was doing.

Bake in a 350° F oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the center is set


Those photos up there are from the original post, as I did not take in process photos, but here are my finished product photos!



No comments:

Post a Comment